Monday, November 24, 2008

Swings N' Things






Spending time with the students in my weaving class is one of the things I most enjoy about my time here in Jordan. Since I can only say the simplest things in Arabic, it’s hard to have an actual conversation with the students. But as I learn words here and there, I’m understanding more of what they say. Throughout the last couple of weeks, I’ve had the chance to go on various field trips. I went horse-back riding, to a birthday party, a pizza place and a park. What I enjoyed the most about these trips was having fun doing activities and not needing to speak the same language! Swinging as high as you can only requires a weeee! and a woohooo! Eating pizza can be done with just one word: zachy (delicious). I learned about a few students' family members by writing their names in the sand, and I even got to see-saw with one of the teachers (I definitely got my work out as the students lined up for their turn). Sharing special time outside of class has given me a chance to connect with the students, and get to know them in a language we can both understand: food & fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures Emily. Nice to see some of your students as I didn't get to meet them in person. Next time hopefully :)

Judy K said...

Em, you looked so natural on that horse! And that pizza looked great, too! I'm glad you're enjoying your job. I'm sure you're very comforting to your students! Love, Mom