The food in Jordan is really good, in my opinion. There are all kinds of new foods for all of us. We are even venturing out and making some new foods. The other day I tried to make some hommos (hummus is the same thing) from scratch. The recipe calls for a blender, some garbanzo beans, olive oil, tahini sauce, garlic, and a few other items. I had all the ingredients except a blender. The blender is very key in all of this because smooth hommos is good hommos. So I made some nice chunky hommos. It tastes okay, I guess. Sometimes we try some new foods from the grocery store like fresh dates which are quite different from dry dates. I like them both. The fresh fruits are amazing and I love seeing olive trees and fig trees everywhere. The olives aren't quite ready yet and I don't think they taste very good straight off the tree. Someday I would like to press some olives and make some olive oil. If only I had a press. The ants have been tasting a lot of our food after we've had a chance with it. They like to clean our dirty plates and pick up the crumbs off the floor, or at least they DID! Tine and I went on a wild goose chase for a container of white powder that would supposedly make the ants never want to come back. Along the way we saw every shop but the one we were looking for. But then, there it was, a little shop on the side of the road selling all kinds of plants. The man in charge had exactly the powder we were looking for. I powdered the kitchen and the ants ate that too, and haven't come back. I know it's only been a day, but I am hopeful. And home feels a bit more like home now that there are no pests to watch out for. Finally we can enjoy our food in peace.
Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment