Day 2 in Cyprus: I was hoping to sleep in this morning and retired to bed without setting my mental and physical alarm clock – I was up at 5:45am. I said to myself “self, this is ridiculous go on back to bed you are on holiday!” (Well a working holiday… but self chooses not to acknowledge this). Self obliged. However, at 6:30 a.m., I was up again. It’s odd because I usually have little trouble sleeping in when the opportunity arises, and it is not for a want of being tired – my mind is exhausted and my body desperately needs the rest but I guess it’s just the excitement and unfamiliarity of a new environment. I went down for breakfast at about 8:30a.m., and then left the hotel on an investigative excursion round about noon. The hotel I am staying at is just a stone throw away from the beach and my first thought was when do the Cypriots work? I realized soon after of course that it is all the international tourists flooding up the beaches and crowding up the plentiful restaurants and bistros. I took a walk to the dock where a notable sight of interest is a glass bottom boat that doubles as a restaurant and café. I met a few interesting people - it is amazing everyone is so C.H.I.L.L.E.D in Larnaca and it is hard to believe that this is ordinary life for some. Of course this realization sent me into deliberation mode, and I debated with myself about whether I would prefer life in a touristy, beachy town as opposed to a normal town (“normal” being relative of course - Lusaka, Cape Town, London, Amman are all “normal” in some respects to me). My conclusion? No, because if this was my permanent abode, I wouldn’t have it as a therapeutic getaway. Satisfied with this insightful answer, I found a lunch spot and headed back to the hotel - allegedly to work on my paper which I am presenting on Thursday (ahem). A couple of hours ago I ventured out into the mellow evening for a brief walk. The rest of the crew arrive here tomorrow afternoon. After I check out of the hotel at noon I will head to the apartment and wait for them there. So far, this trip has really been one of the highlights of my year. I think sometimes God gives you just what you need exactly when you need it. I didn’t realize how much I needed to get away and sort through a few things in my head and these 2 days have greatly aided that process. The adventure continues…







2 comments:
Hello Tine,
Thank you for posting this blog while you are were in Cyprus. Who took the pictures of you when you were there without the rest of the crew?
Ha ha, ha , good question! The Cypriots are very laid back and friendly and just seeing me with a camera in hand sometimes provoked a "do you wan't me to take a photo of you?", Other times after striking up conversation with various individuals, I would kindly ask them to take my photo, they always obliged.
Post a Comment