After three exhausting, yet suprisingly idle, days we were dropped off at our flat this evening at 10pm. We spent the last 2 hours on what we termed the "party bus". ****For those concerned about traffic safety, please skip to the next paragraph.**** On a giant bus (kindly donated by the people of Italy), Arabic music was blared while 30 (or so) students and teachers alike, Arabic-danced and clapped their hearts out. 10 months ago I would have been appalled at the complete lack of concern for safety, but now I am Jordanian, and was just as guilty, jumping into the dancing fray. It was a marvelous time.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Hallassed -- Lena
In the last ten months our little group has grown closer together in various ways. We've often lamented that we don't think we will be able to function in society any longer simply because we won't remember how. In some ways we have been very insulated; this insulation has had various side affects. One such side affect has been "crew-speak". (I just coined that term, by the way). Crew-speak has developed in several ways, just as most languages do. The first is from NATIVE SPEAKERS meaning we each brought our own language idioms, and we've all adopted them (I am *apparently* the most guilty of this), some instances are LAME, SHAME, and STINKIN'. The second is from LANGUAGE EVOLUTION; things we've talked about that have brought about common phrases, which is also closely linked to ADOPTED LANGUAGE; adopted language has come about from the little Arabic that we have picked up while here that we have incorporated (with NO regard for proper Arabic grammar) into our every day language. Some instances of this are: HALLASSED (finished/done), HARRAM (this shouldn't be), ECKTEER (too much/very much) and ANA KAMAN (me too). Which brings me to the ACTUAL subject of this blog. Emily and I just returned from summer camp at the YMWA, our last chance to spend more time with some of our students before returning back to the US.
After three exhausting, yet suprisingly idle, days we were dropped off at our flat this evening at 10pm. We spent the last 2 hours on what we termed the "party bus". ****For those concerned about traffic safety, please skip to the next paragraph.**** On a giant bus (kindly donated by the people of Italy), Arabic music was blared while 30 (or so) students and teachers alike, Arabic-danced and clapped their hearts out. 10 months ago I would have been appalled at the complete lack of concern for safety, but now I am Jordanian, and was just as guilty, jumping into the dancing fray. It was a marvelous time.
After arriving at our flat all the students and teachers filed off the bus and gathered around to say good bye. Some students didn't understand that this meant good bye, not I'll see you in a month. Some did, and their tears matched ours. I made sure to hug each student tightly (Jordanian social norms step aside), looked them each in the eye and told them, "Ana Behebick/behebuck, eckteer, eckteer". Which means, I love you, too too much. And it's true. Our dear friend Mohammed Ghanam leaned out the door and said, "you are my sister, I will see you, inshallah(God willing)." Emotionally speaking, I am HALLASSED.
After three exhausting, yet suprisingly idle, days we were dropped off at our flat this evening at 10pm. We spent the last 2 hours on what we termed the "party bus". ****For those concerned about traffic safety, please skip to the next paragraph.**** On a giant bus (kindly donated by the people of Italy), Arabic music was blared while 30 (or so) students and teachers alike, Arabic-danced and clapped their hearts out. 10 months ago I would have been appalled at the complete lack of concern for safety, but now I am Jordanian, and was just as guilty, jumping into the dancing fray. It was a marvelous time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment