Friday, June 12, 2009

But why do you have to go?...Zach

Those are the words that break my heart but warm my soul every time I hear them. Especially when they come from one of my most loving little third graders. Unfortunatley we cannot post pictures of our ABS students onlne, so just imagine a tiny little 8 year-old girl with glasses and a disapproving look on her face as you read this. The disapproving look never seems to fade, even after asking me just about every time I've seen her for the last month why I have to go back home after this year. I thought I would get tougher after the first time she asked me, but I still hurt a little bit inside every time she asks. The first time she asked about my departure was about a month ago. She came up to me during break time and said, "Mr. Zach, I'm going to miss you. Why are you leaving?" I told her I have to go because my mom and dad, and the rest of my family and friends miss me too. She wasn't buying this at first, but when I told her I have to go see my nephew she got distracted for awhile because she was amazed that I was an uncle. But she is a bright girl, so she didn't let me lead her off track that easily. "But why do you have to go?" Her mom works at the school and she told me just the other day that her daughter is so distraught because I am leaving. I laughed a little and said, "I'm not sure why."

The last week or two more students have been expressing their desire for Lewis and I to stick around. During one of his lessons this week, while dealing with a difficult student who wasn't listening well, Lewis stopped for a second and just said, "I'm going to miss you." The student said, "Yeah, I'm going to miss you too." And then Lewis continued to try to capture his attention.

Although they don't always show it in the most loving way, I guess our students do like having us around. 7 or 8 months ago I definitely didn't think I would be getting requests from some of my students to stay another year, but day after day we hear more of these pleas. It is comforting and rewarding to know that even through all of the challenges that we've faced as young, first-year, volunteer, foreign teachers, we have made some kind of an impact. We must be doing something right! Although it is hard on the heart, I will take as many "But why do you have to go"'s as I can get in the next two weeks.


Lewis playing with a new friend in Aqaba.


At the ABS Middle School Sports Day


After an amazing meal at Reem Abu Wabi

No comments: